12 January 2009

Vol. 1, Issue 16 | A Seasonal Greeting, of Sorts...

[originally written 24 December 2007, 12:18pm]


I don't normally do this.

Christmas, I mean.

Granted, I attend a few gatherings & get-togethers during this season. But in a quick survey of my home, you won't find a tree, stocking, gift-wrapped packages or any such indication that it's even the holidays.

It's not that I dislike Christmas. It's not. I mean, I can't recount a single ruined holiday from my childhood, nor have I ever had a disastrous homecoming in my adult life. I'd describe my feelings towards Christmas as "benign apathy."

And I think I know why.

I don't use the season as rationale for getting together with friends & family.

But I think there are a lot of people in our society who do. Who need to. Because, for whatever reason, they can't seem to bridge that gap that sometimes separates us from the ones we love unless we have some external excuse to do so.

Like a holiday.

And then we add in our own neuroses, expectations, obligations, and guilt.

Yeesh... Talk about holiday cheer.

Anyway, my point... and I do have one... is this:

I've one wish – for everyone to get together with your family (however that's defined), and your friends, year-round, and do so just because. We don't need reasons. We don't need holidays. We have enough of a reason just because we love and care for one another.

That's my wish. Not just for Christmas, but for the upcoming year, and many years to come.

Yes, I know it's rather naïve in principle. I mean, it's never that simple, right?

Unless we make it that simple.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and may all your years, new and old, be filled with happiness.
Portlandia wishes you a merry little Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment