12 January 2009

Vol. 1, Issue 1 | A Public Service Announcement, for the Fuckheads

[originally written 10 February 2006, 4:09pm]

Just read a series of posts that made me simply cringe at the thought that I share an atmosphere with these people. While I am capable of recognizing, respecting & comprehending the valid arguments hidden within layer upon layer of rhetoric & propaganda, I'm still left with the question of WTF?

Intent means a lot to me. Causing me harm is substantially less hurtful/debilitating/offensive to me than knowing that you intended to cause me harm. I joke a lot about the phrase "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" and am often the first to lose my shit on people whose 'good' intentions encroach on my lifestyle (usually as it's interpreted as them telling me how I should/shouldn't live, etc). But when I see that someone's intent is to provide an opportunity where none or few existed, and said someone then becomes an object lesson in "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished," I simply want to throw my hands in the air, destroy the Universe & hit the 'Reset' button on the whole bloody mess. Yes, I've participated in the debate on how Opportunity can be another level Oppression, so I get it. I really do. Here's my counter argument to it. Ready? Cause if you blink, you'll miss it. Here it is:

Lighten. The Fuck. Up.

Why didn't I include links to the posts so you'd know what I was referring to? Prolly because as I write this, I'm discovering that my indignation has less to do with the actual subject and more to do with the prevailing Us vs. Them mentality that is getting, as near as I can tell, increasingly worse. As I've said in the past, this needs to stop. Completely. There is no effing 'Them'... there never was. I say this suffering from my own kinds of daily paranoia, but at the core I do realize this. There really is no Them. It's just Us. And we are 'doing it' to ourselves. As oversimplified as that may sound... no, fuck that. It IS that simple. You are doing the bad shit to Yourself. Your neighbor is doing it to himself or herself. Etcetera. And, to get all existential for a moment, you are your neighbor, your neighbor is you, thus the We're Doing It To Ourselves theory.

Fuck. Brain got ahead of my fingers... hang on... Ah. Lightening up. Got it.

Part of the solution is accepting this realization that no one is out to get you (except in the generalized way that the Universe is out to get all of us. Read that somewhere... but don't remember where...), and then having a sense of humor about everything. Especially about anything that you are taking very seriously. Because if you don't, then you'll find yourself setting building on fire in protest, because someone thought what you take ever so seriously was funny. Know why they thought that?

Because it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment